[/et_pb_column]

South Dakota FKT Routes

by | Sep 4, 2023 | Routes

With only nine posted routes and variations, South Dakota has not seen a lot of FKT activity to date. Women have claimed FKTs on five of those routes, leaving four yet to be posted (44.4%).

In 2022, women posted two FKTs of the eight total (25%) – men claimed the other six (75%). 

If you want to set an FKT on a route that does not have a posted women’s FKT, you should search for known times on Strava and Google.

Route NameDistance in milesElevation GainPosted Women's FKT?Best Women's Time
Custer Peak: Ascent Only4.21050No
Castle/Medicine Root Lollipop 6.7195Yes1h 3m 50s
Black Elk Peak: Car to Car 6.81472Yes1h 0m12s
Black Elk Peak: Loop 7.01453No
Custer Peak: Up & Down 8.41050Yes1h 20m23s
Sage Creek Wilderness Area Loop (Badlands NP)22.01300Yes5h 27m 40s
Mickelson Trail 106.35226No
Centennial Trail 125.020000Yes1d 9h13m 13s
Run Across South Dakota 430.09910No

More articles from the archives:

March 2024: Women Who FKT Update

AMPLIFYING VOICES  Hello to the Women Who FKT community. We are excited to announce a few changes to our communications. First, you may have noticed our monthly email is now formatted as a blog post from our website.. This means you will now be able to access...

100: An FKT Story

100. I did not begin my FKT career with that intention.  Quite the opposite. For one decade, I focused solely on one Fastest Known Time. The Adirondack 46 Unsupported Thru-hike. 183 miles and 46 mountains over 4000 feet with 63 thousand feet of vertical gain. That was...

How To Design A New FKT Route

The Fastest Known Time website may hold over 5,900 unique routes for you to discover and explore, but what do you do when you have a new concept for an FKT challenge? How do you turn your wisp of an idea into a fully fledged, accepted route to be recorded and entered...

British Columbia: FKT Routes on Canada’s West Coast

The mountains and coastlines of British Columbia are known around the world for their rugged nature and outstanding beauty. Despite the popularity of the area's trails, many of the FKT routes remain unclaimed by female athletes. Of the 85 posted routes and varations,...

FKT Routes in England

With its numerous natural areas and outstanding walking paths, England offers many FKT routes for consideration. Participation remains very skewed towards the men.  Of the 573 posted routes and varations, 390 did not have a women's time as of compiling (68.1%). In...

2023 Women’s FKT Of the Year Nominations

We've seen another year of incredible FKTs set by women around the world. Every year the FKT website chooses a few FKTs to honor as FKT Of The Year. Community members nominate FKTs for the honor. Next  a voting process whittles the list to the top 5 male and female...

Silent FKTs: How harassment of athletes from historically excluded groups impacts media outcomes

In 2023, three new FKTs were set on the Pacific Crest Trail.  What, three?  Three.   Two of these FKTs, you’ve likely heard as they were happening – Overall FKTs set by men in the supported and self-supported categories received a large amount of attention.  Within...

FKT Routes in Mexico

Mexico has a variety of FKT routes for consideration, and very few women or mixed teams have claimed fastest times. Of the 36 posted routes and varations, 33 do not have a women's time (91.7%). In 2022, one woman (25%) and three men (75%) posted FKTs. If you want to...

Puerto Rico, Guam & US Virgin Islands FKT Routes

The US territories of Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands and Guam have a handful of FKT routes to date. Of the four posted routes, just one has a woman's time (75%). In 2022, one woman set an FKT in these territories (20%) and men set four (80%). If you want to set an...

Pennsylvania FKT Routes

Pennsylvania's mountains and trails are popular for running and hiking. Currently, 101 routes and variations are posted as potential FKTs, and of those, 49 do not have a posted women's time (48.5%). In 2022, women and men both set 19 FKTs (47.5%), while non-binary...